Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Self Employment in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Medical insurance for self-employed

I'm curious, if most self-employed people pay for medical insurance? I for one don't pay, but I'm considering doing so.

Do you pay for your own medical insurance if you are self-employed?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 PM

I got set-up a year ago. I live in Ontario so of course OHIP (or whatever they call it these days) will cover a certain amount like Doctor visits, emergency room at the hospital, etc. But there is a lot it doesn't cover.

My financial advisor is also an insurance broker so she custom tailored various benefits for me. I pay for my own:
- Term 100 Life Insurance policy for both my wife and I. Good until I'm 100 years old or dead; whichever comes first! Also got life insurance policies on the kids which they can continue after they hit 25 years old if they like.
- Critical Illness insurance for me. If I get a critical illness such as cancer I will be paid a lump sum to use however I feel fit.
- Long term disability insurance for me. I'm in and out of factories every day and if I happen to get in an accident I want to make sure I still have income. This will pay me a monthly wage for life if I can't perform the duties of my job.
- Hospital and Drug benefits. This covers 80% of prescription costs, a certain amount of glasses and eye exams, chiropractor, semi-private hospital room, anesthesia, and a slew of other things for the whole family.
- Out of Province Travel insurance. This covers my entire family when I'm out of the province whether for business or pleasure. Hospital stays, medical transportation home, etc.

I also have Worker's Compensation Optional Insurance through the WSIB to cover up to a maximum of about $70,000 per year if I'm involved in a work-related accident.

I wanted to make sure I had decent coverage because although my job isn't excessively dangerous I am around dangerous equipment a lot. Primarily I work with lower voltages, 600Volts and less but it can still do a lot of damage (death). I work around moving equipment but I am quite strict when it comes to applying safety rules such as proper guarding, equipment, lockout, etc. Believe it or not but my biggest concern is always being run over by a fork lift truck. Those guys drive like maniacs!

All told my benefits cost about $4500 per year and the Worker's Comp is an additional few hundred dollars. Don't even ask about the CGL and Errors & Ommissions insurance I pay to protect myself from lawsuits!
www.rstechnologies.ca
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Thanks Rob,

$4,500 sound a lot, but I guess that's the prices for all these benefits. At one point I was looking for Errors & Omissions insurance, but all companies I called didn't want to deal with one-man company (they all said they do group insurance only). What company does your Errors & Omissions insurance? Is the Errors & Omissions insurance expensive too? What is CGL?

Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM

I have my Errors & Ommissions and CGL (Commercial General Liability) with Enron through Aon Reed Stenhouse (broker) out of Ottawa. I am a Certified Engineering Technologist through OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) and one of the benefits is access to this liability insurance through a group plan set up for OACETT. Since it is a group plan it is reasonably priced (relatively speaking). I pay about $3500 per year for 2 million CGL and 2 million E&O. The next closest quote I had was for $7500 per year for a 1 million dollar policy. I had similar problems getting turned down because I worked for myself. Funniest thing is Enron turned me down as an individual but had no problem insuring me through a group plan.

By the way, the $4500 I pay for my other benefits was the best price and best benefits out of 4 different quotes I got. I also got quotes from the local Chamber of Commerce Group plan, an OACETT group plan, and an individual policy I looked at. The best value and best benefits I got were through my Financial Advisor; I guess that's why its good to go through a broker.
www.rstechnologies.ca
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Thanks Rob,

Your help is greatly appreciated!