Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Administrator Administrator is offline
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 145
Default How to apply for a SIN - Social Insurance Number

In order to be able to legally work in Canada, you need a SIN (Social Insurance Number).

The SIN is a 9-digit number and you will need it when applying for job.

To get your SIN number you need to apply through the nearest Human Resources Development Canada Centre. You can go to any of those centres and get the SIN application form from there. The SIN application forms are usually available in the post offices too. Finally you can download and print the form online at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/cs/sin/0300/0300_000.shtml. You will receive your SIN card in your mail, once the card is ready. One final thing, make sure you keep your SIN number safe!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:22 AM
edmars edmars is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default not in canada

if i'm not in canada, can i get SIN?
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator Administrator is offline
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 145

Originally Posted by edmars View Post
if i'm not in canada, can i get SIN?
This document will help you out:


Here is a quote from it:

You must also provide a primary document that proves your identity and status in Canada, as well as a supporting document, if the name on your primary document is different from the one you are currently using. It is important that documents are originals and that they are written in English or French.

The following document lists different categories describing the applicant's status in Canada:


What is your status in Canada, if you have any?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
HaverCanada HaverCanada is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 27

To apply for a SIN you have to come to Canada with PR status or work visa.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.