Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Default my advice

about that big problem question, i have a feeling that the company doesnt really care about your academic problems, as much as your life problems. tell them something personal about yourself. and it doesnt have to be a bad thing that happened to you and you managed to pull through in the end. just any problem you have overcome in life, as long as its not academically related..good luck..

Nick
Old 11-19-2006, 06:01 AM

I would think they're asking about problems in your personal life. What you DON'T want to do is bring up something that could make them worry about your future physical or mental health - so obviously this isn't the time to talk about how you overcame alcoholism or anything like that. You could talk about how hard it was for you when a family member was sick, when your house was broken into, or when you first moved to a new city (or country). I'm not sure I really believe this, but some people think that in any sales opportunity (which definitely would include job interviews) it's better to keep thing happy...so don't bring up someone close to you dying either. Whatever you choose, if you talk about how focusing on work helped you cope with your feeling, that should be especially appealing to potential employers.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Yes, I agree that it's better to look and sound positive while being interviewed. All the employers want to see is that you can do the job, and you don't look like somebody who will bring his personal life at his workplace...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM

I think it is a perfectly legitimate question - and a good one - I may even use it myself - though Aboutjob's answer is not what I have in mind.

You must look at it from the Interviewer's POV. He's got roughly 60 minutes to assess a highly complex individual about which he knows nothing except his Resume - and he's no psychologist or HR expert - and make an expensive decision.

Letting the Candidate rattle off prepared answers does little to help him. He NEEDS some way to put the candidate off-balance.

I often use similar techniques such as "what is your biggest personal weakness" or "what has been your worst professional experience", "what do you do when faced with a problem you've no solution for?" Many people mumble a little at these questions - which is precisely why I do it: There's no "correct answer" but the answers you do get, tell you something about the candidate.

Another method (I'm in the IT industry) is to ask the candidate to describe a product or system he's worked on, and then pick it apart. If he can't handle it, he's gone.

Almo