Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Education in Canada > Discuss education in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Red face Pharmacy or Biotech?

Hi everyone,

I'm in 1st year at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada. I have been considering two career options -

1. Pharmacy - Somewhat appeals to my interests (medtech) and provides guaranteed jobs and excellent salary, although highly competitive. The U of S offers a good 4 year program with integrated internship.

2. Cell biology/biotech - More appealing work than pharmacy, but I've heard not so good things about the availability of jobs, salary, etc. What can people tell me about careers in science research, and how far to go in education to find a decent job?

Any thoughts on a plan of action?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM

You have two options - to do what your heart desires and what you feel will fulfill your life or do something that you don't desire so much but the money are good. Why is it always like that in life?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 AM

I would contact a major employer in both fields and arrange to speak to someone in their HR. See if you can have tour or job shadow someone with the position you would like to have upon Graduation. "live a day in the life of" and see what is appealing to you in both.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Depends what career do you want - science (going for MSc, PhD etc) or industry, or smth like pharma/biotech marketing, management - more businesslike...

Even in industry science research is becoming more competitive as the numbers of PhD `s are somehow increasing (no jobs, people opt for additional education, skilled immigrants ...), so if you want to go for a science career that is definitely path that you should consider. If not, you can go for biotech or pharma and than some additional education like MBA if you want, all depends...

If you re definitely not sure what to choose maybe the more practical choice is pharma (you can always find smth to do if youre not all- research-science...)...

wish you luck
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM

You can choose Pharmacy that have good scope...