Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Top 10 Cover letter tips

Top 10 Cover letter tips

Cover letters are typically one page documents. The cover letter is a business letter directed to a prospective employer that indicates your interest in employment with an organization. Usually it accompanies your resume, aiming to introduce it. Since resumes arriving without a cover letter are rarely read, think of the resume and the cover letter as a team.

1. Keep it short and on topic.
2. Emphasize your strengths.
3. State your skills and degree upfront.
4. Personalize it to a specific individual if possible
5. Tailor it to the position you are applying for.
6. Write about your salary expectations.
7. Clearly state that you are available for an interview.
8. State why you are interested to work for them.
9. Include contact information, phone or email and time you can be contacted for an interview.
10. Thank them for their time and express confidence that you will meet.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips Tsveta!

The thing that bothers me is that the article recommends writing about my salary expectations. If I write too little they will consider me not worthy, if I write too much, same thing. This could be a deal breaker. Is it really important to discuss my salary in such an early phase? How do I know if my expectations are realistic?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:38 PM

Yes, I don't include a salary range unless the job posting specifically mentions it. In fact I will wait for the interviewer to bring up salary expectations. Being too focussed on money gives a negative impression. That said it is a part of due dilligence to know the current market. I think its wise to ask for the higher end of the range. Lowballing yourself doesn't make you more attractive.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:44 PM

I agree with you. I've never included my salary expectations in my Cover letter or Resume. I am always afraid that if I do a lot of job opportunities may slip through my fingers.

One more thing - After sending your Cover letter and Resume ALWAYS follow up!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Extensive List of Cover Letter Tips

WorkBloom has recently relaunched its website, featuring cover letter tips and more. Please click on the signature link to be re-directed.