Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Finding a Job in Canada
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 AM

Default Preparation is Key Before Starting Your Job Search

Like any job preparation, prior to the job interview you may want to look at revising or creating a new resume first. The resume is the first step to get a employer interested in your knowledge, skills and abilities before he/she even considers you for a interview. Regardless if a person is a local Canadian or a foreigner, standards of resume differ from North America and other parts of the world. For example, in part of middle east and India I have seen resumes that have personal information. In Canada this is a no no and should never be included. This is considered discrimination and resumes should only have professional information regarding work experience, education etc. So my suggestion would be to look at revising your resume first before you consider the interview.

In regards to the interview, this is also conducted differently in North America then many other part of the world. Other then reading useful , "how to" or "what not to do" information in books and internet searches, i would recommend seeking professional job preparation coaching or looking into on-line or in person coaching.

Through my dealing with immigrants and organic job seekers on a human resources side for employers, I can recommend or suggest one company that seems to be reputable. The company is HRinmotion.com. This company is comprised of a network of certified human resources professionals who specialize in job preparation and resumes for business and job seekers in Canada and USA. They work with large companies and have also received national media coverage in the Financial Post. The prices are very reasonable and the service is very professional.

I wish everyone much success in your job search. All the best in 2008.

Regards,
Mark