Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Is it a bad sign if a potential employer can't get ahold of one of my references?

I had an interview last Monday and informed all of my references that they may be contacted. On Wednesday one of my references contacted me and told me the potential employer had interviewed her. Today (Saturday) I received an email from a different reference saying she was on holiday and that she had missed the potential employer's call. She won't be back in until next Thursday and I'm afraid this will be too late (perhaps they'll have already made their hiring decision). I provided her with the potential employer's email address in case she wanted to contact her that way. I don't know about my third reference as she is usually very busy and doesn't always respond to emails until after she's been interviewed. I emailed the potential employer and told her that I would send the name of another reference if she needed, but today is Saturday and she won't see it until Monday.
Does this look poorly on my behalf? The interview seemed to go well and they contacted my references (or tried to) fairly quickly. Now I'm afraid I'm going to not be considered equally because they can't get hold of my reference(s). What usually happens in this scenario? Does this happen (in)frequently? What should I do?

Thanks

Last edited by mirandaugh; 10-03-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 AM

There is nothing more you can do. It is a good sign that they have called your references, it means that they are considering you as a candidate. You have no control of what your references will do or say (going on vacation for example)

If you don't get the job, there is what you have to do next time - call your references and make sure they are not going anywhere in the next couple of days after the interview.