Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

Smile Five factors for Interview Success

Factor 1. The First Impression.

There's a saying that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. This is especially true in an interview. Most interviewers make their minds up in the first five seconds as to whether you are right for the company or not. If they like what they see, statistics show you are 80% of the way to getting the job.

Factor 2. A Smile.

Smile naturally at everyone you meet when you arrive at the office. I'm not going to go into clothes, as common-sense prevails with that issue. My only advice is don't wear showy jewelry, overpowering perfume or aftershave or anything else that distracts the interviewer from focusing on you.

Factor 3. Your Mindset.

The interview is part of an attempt to solve your potential employer's needs, wants and desires. At this moment you are not part of their solution. The only way to become part of their solution is to understand their needs or problems. To do this you need to ask questions related to how you can help solve the potential employer's problems.

For example, a great question that gets the focus heading in the right direction is "What do you want to make happen with this position?" Asking an employer what outcome or what they want to happen from this job completely turns the interview around and an interviewer or employer will start to tell you what they want. Now you can give them examples from your PAST (your resume) that demonstrate you can deliver the outcomes the employer is looking for. Now instead of talking about your past, you can now talk about your potential.

Factor 4. Understanding the Mind of the Employer.

Understand the purpose and reasoning behind questions and areas being discussed. To illustrate the power of this, let me give you a sticky interview question: "Why did you leave your last job?" It's a commonly asked question and it never fails to put interviewees off-balance. But once you understand the reasoning behind the question, it's suddenly a cinch to answer.

Why are they asking? Because they want to be sure you don't do the same thing to them a few weeks after they hire you. Once you understand this, the question becomes much easier to answer doesn't it? My all-time favorite answer to this question would have to be: "I didn't want to � but i saw his position advertised and it's the job i've always wanted!"

Factor 5. Know What Interviewers Fear. Interviewers are human and as such fall victim to the FUD factor: "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt." The sorts of things they are afraid of include:

* You won't be able to do the job
* What you said in your application may not be totally correct
* It will cost them a lot of money if they do hire the wrong person
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Banned

Default Re: Five factors for Interview Success

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable information. For interview resume is also an important factor, it must hold the mind of the interviewer.