Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Evaluating multiple offers

I have been out of work for a long time (9 months). Finally I have received a job offer, actually 2. Neither of them are exactly ideal and I would like to get some objective opinions.

Job 1 - full time, permanent position. When I start base salary is 18% less than my previous position. Comes with dental, health and contribution to 401k. If you include the 401k contributions, compensation is 10% less than my previous position (although I am a long way from retiring). The company does not require for me to contribute in order for them to contribute so at least my base salary stays in tact. Also, I was told I can have a salary review after 6 months of employment. If I get the increase, the base salary would be 14% less than my previous position, and 5% less when including 401k contribution. I don't have this offer in hand but was told the intention is to make an offer (possibly by the end of this coming week).

Job 2 - part-time, 2 month position with the possibility of it going longer or permanent. Hourly, it is 5% less than my previous position; however since I will be working only 20hrs/wk, my salary would be halfed. No dental, health or 401k benefits. I have this offer in hand.

It looks like Job 1 would be better but if Job 2 goes full-time maybe I could get my old salary back. Also, I talked to a contact of mine and she said she might have a position for me in October (about the time Job 2 would end). The base salary would most likely be similar to that of Job 1 but I would lose the 401k. I plan on talking to her again before I make a decision. On the other hand, the work at Job 1 might be more interesting (I'm not too sure about that).

So, what do you consider best to take? Job 2 is less stable but if it goes full-time I would make more money in the long run. If it doesn't, I would make less. Also, I don't have an offer from Job 1, and Job 2 is looking for a commitment if I accept. They were considering other candidates and I don't want to accept the position and then bail when they could have hired someone else. So if you think I should take Job 1, how would you handle that?

Thanks in advance for the advice.