Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Default deciding between two jobs?

Hello there, im going into my first year of high school. I think i should have a good idea of what i want to do with my life so i can take appropriate courses in university. ive narrowed my choices down to two: becoming an engineer, or a pharmacist.

Engineering would be better because i do enjoy math and science. Plus engineering is something that has tons of more imagination and creativity, something i have plenty to share.

However, becoming a pharmacist has benefits too. I always did fancy the idea of being a doctor, but long hours, being on call often, and having to be comfortable around others bodies swayed me otherwise. Being a pharmacist allows me to be part of the medical field (and maybe hold the title "Dr."? ), but with more predictable hours (probably the hours that the drug store has), not being on-call, and not having to see others bodies as much. Plus when looking around on the net, they seem to have a better average wage.

Does anyone has some advice or experience in either fields and would help sway me in a direction?

Thaaank you PS: Is this the right forum for this?

edit:sorry forgot to say im in alberta, canada.

Last edited by z00mz00m; 08-27-2006 at 11:48 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 AM

Hi, it's very good that you know what you want. Not many people know that in high school. If you are creative you probably have to go with the engineering but in pharmacology you can use your imagination too. Do not limit yourself with pharmacology only; you can work in a research lab, where your imagination will be of great help.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 AM

I've always wanted to work in a lab, always but never got a chance....
I would choose pharmacology.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Thanks for those comments. Im still really torn bewteen the two, and i dont really want money to be the deciding factor. Just a question about pharmacists: are they sometimes regarded as "someone who just couldnt make med school so they settled for pharmacy", like the phrase "Those who cant do, teach"? Or are they well regarded individuals?

This may seem like a even more stupid question, but would a male pharmacist have the same impact on people as, for example, a male nurse (no hard feelings), almost like they dont belong there? Because i always seem to see women behind the counters...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM

Do what you feel you want to do and try not to think so much of what the people would think or say
I don’t think male pharmacists are an unusual sight.