Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Default E.i and wrongful dismissal. I am worried!

I am unionized worker who got terminated from my work. I went to my union and at the end we ended up settlement with the employer. However, the settlement was I would get x amount and good reference but I won't go to human right commission to complaint. When I was filling out my EI online it said why you think you think you were wrongful dismissal. At that moment I told the truth and I thought it was human right issue. What I am worried about is about will the employer know about the fact I mentioned human right issue and will they take there offer away from me. There offer is pending on giving me damages and reference and I don't go to human rights basically.

I didn't know what to write I told the truth why I went to union to complain. They told me to put the union name and number. How would the E.I officer go at this? What would they ask employer and union you think?

Can you correct a response? or should I? its passed four weeks since my dismissal now and if call in and correct will it delay my case?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Why did you sign the settlement then?

human rights issue sounds serious although I don't think you can do anything until you go to talk to your E.I officer
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp123 View Post
I am unionized worker who got terminated from my work. I went to my union and at the end we ended up settlement with the employer. However, the settlement was I would get x amount and good reference but I won't go to human right commission to complaint. When I was filling out my EI online it said why you think you think you were wrongful dismissal. At that moment I told the truth and I thought it was human right issue. What I am worried about is about will the employer know about the fact I mentioned human right issue and will they take there offer away from me. There offer is pending on giving me damages and reference and I don't go to human rights basically.

I didn't know what to write I told the truth why I went to union to complain. They told me to put the union name and number. How would the E.I officer go at this? What would they ask employer and union you think?

Can you correct a response? or should I? its passed four weeks since my dismissal now and if call in and correct will it delay my case?

Thanks.
Since you agreed to the settlement didn't you also agree that it was not wrongful dismissal?

I would definitely talk to your EI officer and explain you came to an agreement with the employer.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Well I dont know where you live but in Canada you dont get EI when fired.
In my opinion the Union made a huge error in asking you to sign a settlement.
1:They should have filed a grievence on your behalf,
2:They should have filed a human rights violation on your behalf also.
By telling EI officer that it was a human rights issues,yes they can investigate because they would want to know if there was a settlement wich will affect you payments if you were to get EI.