Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 AM

Default What do you do about a vindictive boss?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but couldn't find any other that would fit. So, here goes...

What do you do about a vindictive boss? My boss is always finding ways to make it harder for me to work and as of today, I am beginning to think that he is intentionally singling me out. I am also beginning to think that it is because he has a narcassistic personality disorder.

I have been working at this company for the past 1.5 years and have had problems with him from the very beginning. We are a company of 4 people and he and the president of the company are business partners. This is a good company and position to be in for my career and there is many things that I am learning there. However, I have not enjoyed the job because of him. I have always been told you should not quit your job because of people because you might meet similar people in your new job.

I have tried to figure out why he would behave this way but can't seem to figure it out. He has a share in this company and if I cannot do my work, the company suffers for it.

Any thoughts, sugggestions?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 AM

You can't get along with everybody. There are people you just don't like and the other way round and there is nothing you can do, no matter how hard you try. that's the way it is. I guess the problem you have with your boss is similar. He doesn't like you and that's it. Do your job and don't pay attention to him. If you have trouble with your job and he is obstructing your work, talk to the other partner and if things don't get better, find another job. I don't see why you have to suffer just because ... I'm sure with you gone he'll find his next victim.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Only the company will suffer from this.
The employee will get another job and won't care much.
I've worked in a company once where the boss was a moody, horrible person with temperamental issues. I quit after a year there and most of the employees did the same, they would stay for a while then find something else. You are not married to your job, I don't see why you have to suffer and be over stressed.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:46 PM

I guess what's making me second guess myself is that this is not a bad position if it wasn't for this one person. I get to learn and do a lot here. I've already invested in this company by doing a lot of the grunt/ground work. It's a stable company because I got the job from the very beginning and it is a stable company in an unstable industry (a service company in biotech).

And, these things get cancelled out by his actions. He will undermine my work and do some questionable things at times (i.e. he asked a former coworker of mine for 'dirt' on me).
Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM

I don't see why you have to invest more time and efforts in this company. I would start looking for a new job, and when a good opportunity comes by I'll take it. It is his company after all, you work for him and at any time he can find a reason to fire you.
That's what I think.