Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Canadian Labour Legislation
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Default Can an employer pressure you into taking part-time work?

Any help with this one appreciated.

Until last week I worked full time. I was terminated because the company was in dire straights and could no longer afford to keep me on. My ex-boss was pushing for everyone to go part-time and I refused. I was originally employed as a trained scientist but gradually over 4 years been sidelined to more and more menial tasks and also agreed to a substantial pay cut last year. I was already looking for other employment, so when the chop came I was pleased that I would get EI based on full-time earnings and could devote myself totally to finding a better job.

On my termination letter it was mentioned that I refused to accept a part-time position. Is this relevant and could this fact be used in any way to deny my EI claim? There as been a long time lag in my ROE being submitted, despite requests from me to my ex-boss. I have suspicions that he may be up to something to screw-up my EI claim. He was not happy when I refused to sign up to a new part-time contract.

So the basic question is - if you have a full-time contract with a company and they can no longer honor that, are you obligated to sign up to a part-time contract with the same company or else risk loosing EI benefits down the line?

Last edited by terence1957; 12-04-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

I don't think you are. You can always want to find a better job. I also don't think you can be denied EI because you have refused to sign the new part-time contract - it had no job security. This is your decision and you chose to find a better job with prospective. Even if you've accepted the new agreement you still had no job security and could have been laid off sooner or later.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
housefull

I accept with information:On my termination letter it was mentioned that I refused to accept a part-time position. Is this relevant and could this fact be used in any way to deny my EI claim? There as been a long time lag in my ROE being submitted, despite requests from me to my ex-boss. I have suspicions that he may be up to something to screw-up my EI claim. He was not happy when I refused to sign up to a new part-time contract.