Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 09-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Default I think I was blackballed

I think one of my references is blackballing me. I'm not sure if this is general paranoia or something real; I am just going by my gut feeling now.

I have had two really good interviews in the last 2 months. At the end of each interview (once it was the second interview of a series of three) I get asked for my references. The interviewer makes it even seem like a formality, and they give the impression I will be hearing from them "very shortly". But I don't.

The last Interview I had was on Monday. I gave her all of my references and she said I would probably hear from her on Thursday. So when I got home, I sent a Thank You letter to both Interviewers and waited. Thursday came and by afternoon no one called. So I called. I asked what the status was on the interviews, she told me that she still had four more interviews to give this week. And that starting next week she will be going on a 10 day vacation. I'm sorry, but this seems like she is blowing me off. And the only thing that has changed is the references, and the thank you e-mails.

So what should I do? Keep going to interviews, not being entirely sure of what my references are saying? I asked all my references permission to use them, and they all agreed... So I don't see why anyone would say anything malicious.. At the same time, the tone in the interviewers voice on the phone was considerably different.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Hi,
I don't think your references said something bad about you. Asking for references is part of the interview but that doesn't mean they want to hire you when they ask for it. Don't get discouraged, you'll find a job!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 AM

This is very common. The interviewer is very nice; everything is perfect and no call after that. Zip. I don't know why they are doing this. Maybe they found somebody more qualified than you. I don't believe it was the references.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 AM

yah, i believe in fate, if one interview doesn't go well .. don't sweat it, i've mentioned b4 i wanted a temp job at bestbuy didn't get it, ended up working somewhere else for 30/hr ... wait it out my friend.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 PM

Red face

I think you sould do some investigating, employers dont ask for refrences if they are not seriously considering you, in my experience the person who gets the job in the end, gets it 75% of the time because the candidate had better refrences then the other.

I think its worth looking into.

****Have one of your friends call your refrences and pretend they are a potential employer and then you will find out for sure who (if) is giving you a bad reference and omit them asap. At least you will know one way or another!!!