Welcome to the Job Forum Canada forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Job Forum Canada > Employment Discussions > Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter writing, Job resources
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Question about references?

Good day

I am 18 years old and currently in my last year of high school. I started job hunting for the summer a little earlier since I had disappointing results last year when I waited too long. I am especially interested in a job at an electronics store nearby (Best Buy), who are hiring all-year round.

I was compiling up my references and checking over my resume, and I came across a few questions I needed answered. My only other job in the past was at a fast-food location, where I worked for 3 years (15-18). I figured my boss and/or manager would be ideal as a reference, since I left on a good note, and I was a good worker throughout my time. Also on the list could possibly be a teacher or two from my high school, where I expect nothing but good things said about me. Lastly, I actually have two friends (more acquaintances from 2-3 years ago from school) who currently work at Best Buy. Should I include their names somewhere on the reference sheet as well? Of course I'm going to check up with them first to make sure everything's okay.

Also, when stating references, which details should I provide, aside from name, phone number, and my relationship with the person stated.. Is address a requirement? etc?

Thank you for your time.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Hi, you can make the references available upon request. If they want to contact them, then give them the details but no address is required.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM

It's best to have references from people who were in a supervisory position and able to directly evaluate your skills and work habits.

For an entry level position, I think you would be fine to get a letter of reference from a teacher. If you are going to use it, let them know in advance, and for the specific position you are applying for.

Regarding your friends, I think it is good to know people on the inside, but if they are not in a management position, I do not think it is necessary.

Good luck with everything.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 AM

I feel that it will be better to give only your last supervisor or manager's number for reference.