View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Default Employer Refuses To Pay Holiday Pay

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some feedback on an issue I have recently encountered with my employer. I am a permanent employee based on salary and have 2 weeks paid vacation per year.

Recently, I put in the request to utilize the 2 remaining days of my vacation for the year. My employer came back at me several weeks later stating that they would refuse to pay my remaining holiday based on the number of sick days I have taken this year. They told my I could take the time off but would not be paid.

This year(2009), I have taken 7 days off based on catching the flu twice, once in January and again in may, and I had a mountain bike accident that put me in ER for 2 days totaling 7 days missed in 2009.

Now, I didn't think that was excessive but they had expressed to me during this meeting that company policy states 2 days per year allowed sick days and they were willing to allow up to 5 but 7 was too much so I will not be paid my remaining 2 days vacation this year. This is a small recruiting company of about 10 people.

Can someone please let me know what exactly is the laws regarding this? I'm not to bothered by it but it definitely has me thinking what are the laws/regulations behind something like this??

If anyone is knowledgeable in this area, can you please reply, it would be great if you could. Thanks so much for reading.

-Matt