View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Default MLM vs. Pyramid scheme

Hi guys,

Before I present my question I must say that I'm new to the site but have been reading the threads.

I have been looking for a career change from engineering to sales for a while now and last week I was referred to a company (which I won't name yet) by a friend of a friend and had an interview with them the end of last week. Now everything about them makes me not trust them but as long as they are legit, I might consider doing business with them.

The facts:

-Life insurance sales with opportunity to become a CFP in the long run

-No base salary

-The interview wasn't much of an interview but rather full of exaggerated promises about how much money I could be making

-Indirect questions about marital status, nationality, age etc... personally I'm not too uncomfortable answering them but still wondered how someone else would feel

-No mention that this was multi-level marketing company... i found out on my own

-They interviewed me in their nicest room with a 30th floor view of the ocean and an aquarium

-Invited me to their sales event... where they would ask me to sign something; i postponed it until I can figure out my answer

Now the upside of it:

-No investment or start up fee other than the LLQP licensing fee

-Full training and mentorship

-Their product is legit

-Checked better business bureau report on them and no complaints; they were rated "B" and have been around for 6 years.

Bottom line, I can do business with them but I don't trust them. I don't mind their company structure but I would never recruit or sell to my family and friends... many of these MLM companies work by recruiting people, using their network of family and friends, and then let them go once that well runs dry.

This is my research so far... anyone has experience with these MLM companies? Does this sound like a pyramid scheme? Would it be a bad way to start my career in sales?