View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Call them or not?

Hello dear forum members ^.^

I found this forum via google. There seem to be not to many forums for application issues, or perhaps my searching was not as good as it should be... ^.^
So I am glad I found this one, because I have a little question regarding when to contact the company I applied at (via phone).

I didn't apply in Canada, but in UK. But I think the question I have can be answered from Canadians too. I guess there are not many differences in applying, or am I wrong?

I read that in an english application it could be considered uninterested if you don't call the HR office a few days after you sent the application. I read it's a normal application progress to keep contact to the person you sent the application. It is interesting for me, because I am German, and in Germany it could be considered bad manners if you call the HR. Here you just have to wait until they call YOU.

Now I sent my application (for an internship) via e-mail and got this (automatic) reply:

""Thank you for sending us your details and for your interest in XXXXXXXX. We are always happy to hear from people keen to pursue a career in our industry.

Your details will be retained on our files and copies forwarded to the relevant Departments.

Should a suitable opportunity arise, we will not hesitate to contact you. However, if you do not hear from us within 3 weeks, then your application will not have been successful on this occasion.

(...)"""

My question is: What shall I do?
The e-mail says that they will not hesitate to contact me. Furthermore, it says if they don't contact me within 3 weeks I will be unsuccessful.

Shall I call the person who got this application (I know her direct number) or should I just wait and drink tea?

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by Froggo; 12-20-2006 at 06:19 PM..